2013 was a good year in the cinemas for me. It is impossible to sum up the best of what I’ve seen in a list of ten. My “Top 7″ is pretty much locked in, but I must admit that the positions of #8-#20 can be switched around on any given day.
11. Nobody’s Daughter Haewon (dir. Hong Sang-soo)
12. Closed Curtain (dir. Jafar Panahi and Kambuzia Partovi)
13. Why Don’t You Play in Hell? (dir. Sion Sono)
14. Her (dir. Spike Jonze)
15. Three Sisters (dir. Wang Bing)
16. Before Midnight (dir. Richard Linklater)
17. 12 Years a Slave (dir. Steve McQueen)
18. The Act of Killing (dir. Joshua Oppenheimer)
19. No (dir. Pablo Larraín)
20. Upstream Color (dir. Shane Carruth)
I also participated in voting for In Review Online’s Top 20 Films of 2013, which I had to exclude a few of the above films (Stranger By the Lake, Stray Dogs, etc) due to their lack of American release in 2013. I wrote a little blurb for InRO on my favorite, Leviathan. You can also read my review of Carlos Reygadas’s Post Tenebras Lux and Claire Denis’s Bastards at InRO.